Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2007

A Few Good Men

I've had a long day at school, so I don't have much energy for the entry I so wanted to write today. Instead, I will paste here a note from one of my guy friends that I received PBU (post-breakup). I have very few male friends, so it's always interesting to see what they have to say, especially about matters of the heart. I mean, my girl friends are very attuned to what I feel because of how close I am to them, so they are bound to instinctively say what I need to hear (bless their hearts). They only tell me the blunt truth when I ask for it, and they sugarcoat it even then. My male friends, on the other hand, just tend to say whatever's on their mind. Here is what this friend of mine wrote when I told him about the breakup news.

"Wow. I'm both sad and happy for you.
On one hand, regardless of the civil status, you were, in effect committed to the guy.
On the other, he should've moved heaven and earth to keep you, and now he won't have that chance. Idiot.
In any case, that privilege will be bestowed upon someone else."

I was particularly touched by his note, because my friendship with him is at a rather cerebral level, even as we would speak about personal matters. I highly respect this friend of mine for both his intelligence and his character, and he's actually one of the few remaining men I consider truly decent. He's one reason why despite my recent debacle, I still believe that good men do exist. Which is a good sign, indicating that although I've become even more cynical, I've not become embittered for life. Not just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment