Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2007

The Surprisingly High Cost of Living

I've been in Manila for going on three weeks now, and one of the biggest changes I've noticed since coming home is how expensive everything has become. I was only gone two years, but the way prices have gone up, it feels like I was away for much longer. My friends are already sick of me bitching about this, but really, the cost of everything is just a little too steep. One small but concrete example is the price of coffee in Figaro. I used to hang out there a lot, since it's very near the station. A cup of basic brewed was P49 when I left, and it's now P75. That's a 35% increase in a little less than two years!

I haven't gotten my car back from Yeng yet (she took care of it while I was away), and one reason I've hesitated to do this is the high price of gas (that and my newly discovered fear of driving on city streets). Apparently, new taxes and high inflation rates have resulted in these seemingly atrocious prices (at least, they're atrocious to as-yet-unemployed me). Maybe I'll feel better when I start getting a paycheck again.

5 comments:

  1. Are things more expensive than here? I can;t wait to go back and have a fancy meal with wine and dessert for 20 bucks as opposed to lunch on Ruby Tuesday.

    OR!! a great coffee for just 2 bucks, or really fresh fish and shrimp and crab for so little money.... Oh my counry, how I miss it. Tell me know how expensive is yours so as to start saving now to go to all of the delicious places you'll take me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a big reason why I am anxious about returning home, which is inevitable, of course. It's great to live in a place where good food is cheap. Plus, the bonus of being able to travel around the reason cheaply as well.

    Good luck with your job hunting. Do you have to go back to your old job, or are you free to scout for other opportunities? Why now check out places like Singapore or Hong Kong, which are regional media hubs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. MQ, don't worry, the prices here are still much, MUCH lower than in the US. So, the cup of coffee i was complaining about used to be $1.00, and now it's about $1.50 hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. KB, I'm only on study leave from ABS so I do have to go back to work there. But since Fulbright disallows work only in the US for the next two years, who knows? I might end up working somewhere else in this region :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, when I see Atika Schubert on CNN, I am reminded of you. I think that you can have a career just like hers.

    ReplyDelete