Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Homestretch

I've been in denial about the amount of work that needs to be done before I can graduate, but I think this time, reality has finally bitten. I just realized that I have only two weeks left to finish my mini-thesis/research paper before I have to send it off to my committee, before whom I will defend the paper and my activities for the whole semester. I've looked at some examples of such research papers done by students from previous semesters, and some of them looked encyclopedic. Meaning, their papers ended up very, VERY thick, much thicker than my paper can ever aspire to be.

Also, because I was foolish enough to enroll for two other classes other than my professional project (which is equivalent to three classes), I am also cramming to finish the requirements for them. As I write this entry, I realize that I probably sound saner than I feel. Sometimes I find myself sitting at home laughing hysterically at the thought of all I have to do just to finish my degree. I know I'll pull through. After a lifetime of cramming, I just know I will. It's just that I also know that at this point, it will take a minor miracle for me to do so.

And after weeks of being unable to sleep, I now find myself getting suspiciously sleepy early in the evening. Suddenly all I want to do is tuck myself in at 7pm. My body seems to know that I have tons of work to do, and is shutting down as a form of protest. My appetite has also made a comeback, in the form commonly known as stress-eating. Eating, after all, has always been one of the best ways to procrastinate.

Hopefully I will get my act together very soon. In the meantime, I think it's time for a nap.

6 comments:

  1. This is EXACTLY what happened to me during my own Master's homestretch. Didn't think it was possible, but everything eventually fell into place. I have positively no doubt you will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really hope so, because it seems like mission impossible at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some master projects are indeed thick BUT! that's because they add the transcripts from interviews, they write a daily journal (not a log, no) of everything they did and felt while working and pictures one per page. I say, don't worry. We all know you can and will do it! YOU CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bring back my April 2006 memories. All the best in this very last stretch before you move to the next step towards conquering the world :-). Oh, btw, I posted like 10 comments on a past blog not realizing you had turned on comment moderation. So, pick the one you like the most and save me the embarassment. Tsiom (kiss in Ukrainian).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nikka,
    How's your mini thesis going? It doesn't sound any "mini" to me!! Hope all is going well.
    I am sorry that you came across that unhappy entry in my blog. Things happened after I visited your blog and .. anyway, it's over and I'm ok now.
    Have you read Biljana's blog yet? She accepted MU's PHD admission and is returning Columbia this year. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey joanne, glad to know you're better now. yes, i know biljana's coming back. too bad we won't see each other since i'm leaving soon :( hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete