Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2007

More Good News/Bad News

So, the good news is that someone from CNN emailed to inform me that they are offering me a post as a video journalist at their head office in Atlanta. The bad news (OBVI, as some would say) is that I can't take the job. I emailed her back to say that I have to serve a two-year sentence in my home country before I could even think of working in the US. Again, I felt pretty bad that I had to say no to an opportunity like that.

I was expecting her to email back to say "that's too bad, have a nice day" and the like. Well, I was very happy that, instead, she wrote:

"Please hold on to my contact information. As CNN continues to grow, we are always looking for top talent! While you may be unavailable to discuss opportunities at this time, we no doubt will have opportunities in 22 months when you return. I would be more than happy to discuss at that time what opportunities are a match for you."

That made me feel much, much better :)

8 comments:

  1. That's really GREAT! Way to go, "top talent"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! This is really great news! :) Can't you just work for them already?! As their Manila correspondent or something?!

    Congratulations! :) What a great birthday present for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, sisters :) Actually siguro I really have to serve out my "sentence" talaga. Anyway, okay na rin yon, even if I have to wait two more years, it looks like I still might have opportunities when I'm finally free :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read Friedman's The World Is Flat? This is what he meant by the flattening of the world leading to the glabalization of individuals. You have the skills and expertise needed for the new millenium, and literally the whole world is your potential office. I am sure that after your two-year sentence you will be able to find a job--if not with CNN, then somewhere else. But my advice is, don't stick with ABS-CBN. From what I have seen, Philippine news media is a morass that will only waste top talent such as you. You go, girl! And a happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, KB! I haven't read the book but I know of its message. I have every intention of moving on in two years, and you're right, I can work anywhere in the world that I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that??!!!! It's one thing to be confident you can do it, and anther to have a reputable company actually reinforce that!!! We are sooo excited for you....What an awesome birthday treat!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your future is bright Gidge! Congratulations. Keep corresponding with that girl. Even before your 22 months are up. Yay!!!! Patrick and I are so happy for you.

    DOP

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks daph, i hope they still remember me in two years :)

    ReplyDelete