Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Finally Driving Again

During my whole stay in the US, I didn't drive; not ONCE. I just walked everywhere, or hitched rides from friends. I didn't really feel deprived. Columbia is a small town where a lot of the happening places are within walking distance from my apartment. I did feel weird having to ask people for rides, but since that didn't happen too often, it was all good.

When I got back to Manila, I didn't get my car back from Yeng, as I have mentioned. At first I thought it was just so I would be spared the expense of both the car payments and the gas. I've just been taking the MRT and cabs, or my friends would gamely pick me up and bring me home.

Today, I had a meeting near the station, and I decided to drive a grand total of 3.4 kilometers (just over two miles) both ways, so I could start getting to used to driving on the streets of Manila again. I borrowed my brother John's car for my little adventure. On the very brief drive home, I realized that I have been avoiding getting back my car not just because it would cost more, or because I would have to deal with crazy drivers on the street again.

I have been reluctant to drive because doing so would mean that I have really returned to my life in Manila, where I drive myself everywhere, where traffic lights are mere suggestions, and where chaos rules the road. And if I can accept that, I guess I'll have to really accept that I am indeed home, and everything else this fact entails.

2 comments:

  1. I, for instance, did not even want to go out of the house. And finally I had to accept I was back, at least for 6 weeks. (Wedding is rolling, coming up July 19th :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that's just almost a week from now. good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete