Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Some Things DO Change

I went to the Land Transportation Office (LTO) yesterday to renew my license, prepared for the usual hours-long wait involved in having to line up for around a dozen counter windows. That's because there's a counter for every move you make in this government agency, much like others. One window to pay the fees, another window to get your receipt, etc. etc. (or as Felicity has learned to say, chuva chuva chuva). Not to mention having to line up for the medical exam and the drug test.

I was pleasantly surprised though that the whole experience took me way less than an hour- from the time I had to pee in a cup for the drug test, to having my eyesight tested, to when I got the license itself (not just the receipt, but the actual card). Going to the LTO in the past had always been such a time-consuming and stressful experience, but yesterday it was much less so. Maybe it was just luck, but I'm hoping it was a sign that the tangle that is Philippine bureaucracy is somehow figuring itself out (or at least, at the LTO).

3 comments:

  1. I'm a late bloomer, I just applied for a student permit and I got it in less than an hour! No fixers no thing.

    I needed a non-pro license. I remember before, you just need connections and money and you'll get it in a few days. Now, it cannot be done, i was told one has to wait for 6 months, if you get lucky you'll get it in a month.

    I didn't mind leaving Manila without it, I'm just glad that there are changes happening. Its a sign a hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A flicker of hope....that's GREAT to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the LTO has always been one of those agencies where lines are long and you have to bribe someone to get things done. i really hope other agencies are following suit.

    ReplyDelete