Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Facebook hits Manila

I have been unable to log on to facebook for the past couple of hours, and I suspect that it's because Filipinos have been using it like crazy and caused facebook's server to crash.

Facebook used to be available only to students with .edu email addresses, but late last year, it opened up so that anyone with any email address could join. I remember how facebook groups cropped up, demanding that it continue to be available only to students. There was no stopping facebook though, and facebook vowed to take over the world. I don't know about that part, but it sure has sucked Manila into its vortex.

During the past three months, I noticed that the facebook craze has caught on among many of my friends. It has caused massive addiction, much more than that caused by Friendster when that became popular about four years ago. Its applications and interactivity have caused my friend Yvette to state her facebook status as "Yvette is the latest resident of the facebook rehab center". Many other friends are throwing sheep at each other, giving out mardi gras beads, leis, and oktoberfest beers to people on their list of friends.

Facebook is really addicting, and I myself have spent many hours poking people, writing on their walls, winking at, sending drinks to, or hugging them online. The stalker in me (and I'm sure in other people) is given free rein in this social networking site. I have various accounts in other networks, but I do like facebook best. I think it's been a hit with Filipinos because we are such social creatures, and it gives us a chance to do online (in various creative ways), what we sometimes do not have time to do offline. Touch base with our friends, give them drinks, and spend office hours interacting with them.

Now, if only the server were up again...

No comments:

Post a Comment