Search This Blog

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Three Good Things

I am a pessimist. Definitely a "glass half-empty" kinda girl. I remember realizing and articulating this to myself as early as the fifth grade. I am not lucky enough to have Biljana's "lifelong subscription to pink eyeshades :)". I've often thought that wearing rose-colored glasses just causes you to trip, stumble, or lose your way.

There are advantages to being a pessimist. You are not as disappointed as others might be when things don't turn out well, mostly because that's exactly what you expected to happen. However, it can also make your mood dark and even unhappy for extended periods of time, because you fail to see the good that often does happen.

Felicity told me of one way to fight such dark moods in a very practical manner. She said that everyday, you should think of three good things that happened to you. At the beginning, you might find it hard to accomplish this seemingly simple task. But eventually, you will find even more than just three things to celebrate each day.

It's nearly midnight now, and I've only thought of two good things that happened today. Looks like I need a lot more practice before I get the hang of this positive thinking thang.

No comments:

Post a Comment