Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2007

Again, Post-Vacation Blues

I'm back in CoMO, and I can't believe that I hadn't been here for 24 hours yet before an ice storm struck. Yes, we are in the middle of a severe ice storm, which is worse than a snow storm. That's because ice makes the roads so slippery, much more so than snow. So, I'm stuck at home, unable to do anything that involves venturing out of my apartment. In an attempt at being productive, I tried to walk to the laundromat; but even if it's just a few feet away from my apartment, the sleet just made it extremely difficult.

So I have no choice but to stay here alone at home, cursing the storm and longing for the balmy Cali weather that I left behind just a day ago. Because of all this time on my hands, I'm also forced to think about things that I pushed to the back of my mind over the holidays, such as the impending end of my 2-year long vacation... oops, I meant studies.

My stint at Missouri has given me a false sense that reality has been suspended back home; that people, places, and things were frozen in time and that they will be exactly the way they were when I left. This is also commonly known as denial. However, I know that when I get home after I graduate, I will feel out of sorts. Two years after all, is two years.

The company I work for has undergone a lot of changes; Chino, Trixi, and Quincho have grown a little bit or even a lot; my favorite restaurants may have closed or changed menus; people will have moved on without me; and relationships with those close to me may be awkward. It is just not very easy to pick up where you left off when so much has changed.

This ice storm better not last too long. It's making me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment