Search This Blog

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Missouri Weather

The weather here in Missouri never ceases to amaze me. Don't get me wrong, this does not mean I have any kind of positive feeling toward it. It's amazing in the sense that my friend eating seven Big Macs in one sitting is amazing. It's not right, but it's still a cause of wonder and grudging respect.

Yesterday, the day started at a pleasantly chilly 14 C, the kind of weather where back in the Philippines, you would take out your thickest sweater and revel at the chance to wear it. By the time I got home from school, the temperature had dropped to 0 C, which, as every school child is taught at an early age, is the point when water freezes.

Then today, as I was about to move from one building to another, I saw and heard little pellets that looked like rice falling from the sky. This, apparently, was sleet, which I had never seen before. An hour after that, snow began to fall. Snow is pretty to look at, and nice to take pictures of, but it's very hard to walk in, especially if you don't have a car and have to walk everywhere.

I have to admit though that I'm pretty excited to wake up tomorrow morning, because there's supposed to be a foot of snowfall overnight. I haven't seen that yet, since when it snowed here last year (which happened maybe about twice) it would just be an inch or so. My undergrad classmates in convergence are planning to go sledding this weekend, and that sounds like fun. Certainly something I've never done before.

2 comments:

  1. Meanwhile, here I am in Phnom Penh, looking forward to going home to Manila in two weeks, with a new nice thick sweater I had just bought in Bangkok, hoping that the weather back home would be chilly enough to allow me to wear it without sweating underneath...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nikka,
    Are you done with the semester yet? Wish everything goes well for you.
    I love that bunny you put up in the previous entry, it's so cute! Staying long in Ellis needs lots of self-discipline, you are such a good student. Drooling in the library is nothing, little chance to be noticed, as long as you don't snort. heeeee............. I went to the library in a nearby university this Tuesday, in the midst of quietness, my CD player dropped out of my pocket and made a loud thud. It spooked all the people, a girl even jumped at the sound cuz she's right next to my roll. That was embarrassing!

    A little update about myself, my belly dance group is going to perform on 12/28 evening, we're searching for the right costume (especially the top) that can keep away lechers! No kidding, we wanna be beautiful yet don't wanna expose too much, it's pretty disgusting when there are mid-age, fat and lecher-looking men watching when we dance. Most of us are pretty excited about this event, and me, I'll need to confront my stage fright. Fortunately, I am a bit taller and located at the second roll, heeee..... that makes me feel better.

    Are you going anywhere for the winter break? Skiing or visiting your relatives at California? Wish you a good time and keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete