Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The High Cost of Studying at Ellis Library

It's the last three weeks of classes, and as always, I am cramming all my requirements into these very limited remaining hours of school. This means I have been spending inordinate amounts of time at the library, which closes at 2am. I am not really a nerd who likes hanging out there. It's just that if I stayed at home to work, I would inevitably fall asleep in the comfort of my bed instead of getting stuff done. It would be very hard for me to sleep in the library, because I refuse to be seen drooling in mid-dream at a very public place. So, Ellis library it's been, and for the past two nights, Felicity and I have been staying till the library police with their shiny badges shoo us away at 2am.

One unfortunate side effect of staying at the library for extended periods of time (yesterday we were there for more than 12 hours) is that you end up spending a lot. First of all, I have to eat out since I don't have time to prepare food and take it to school to eat. (When you are employed, this is not a big deal. When you're a poor student, eating out could mean you go without food the week after). Secondly, there's a coffee shop on the first floor of Ellis and I've been spending on overpriced triple espressos (the coffee shop is run by Starbucks) to keep me awake. Of course, there's also the occasional cookie (or two) bought as a reward for a paper completed.

So, if I'm not careful, I will be both burnt out and poor by the time this semester draws to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment