Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Two Things I Dislike About Children's Parties


No, no, this is not some rant by a single childless woman about how horrid children's parties are (though some of them CAN be pretty terrible). It IS possible for me to have a good time at these events. However, there are two things that prevent me from being a great fan of these occasions.

But first, some details of the party which brought these thoughts about. Last Saturday, my childhood friend Toytoy, now more fashionably known as Corina, held a party as her baby Nicole celebrated her first birthday. Nicole is super cute (she's the baby in the background) and already has a bag of dog tricks that she readily performs for anyone her rightly-proud mom wants to show her off to. Nicole is good-natured, fresh-smelling, pink-and-chubby-cheeked, and all those good things that make babies adorable.

It was nice to see Toy again, especially since she is now based in the US. Toy is very artistic, and she certainly made a production number out of the party. It was a garden party, with a pink-and-green-and-ladybugs-everywhere theme. She even asked Liz and I if we could wear either pink or green in keeping with the theme. As I would say; "Career!" But being an old friend of hers, Liz and I complied with the dress code.

Anyway, on to what I don't like about children's parties (things which I encountered in this one). First, they make me VERY sweaty. Since these parties are usually held outdoors (if the weather permits), to make room for the kiddies' games, it is usually very hot. Always hot in the Philippines, and hot here as well in sunny Cali. I am not usually one to whine about the weather; I guess last Saturday was just particularly humid and uncomfortable. (Rabidly cheering my nephew on during the games probably didn't help, either.)

Second, and more importantly, I often end up having nothing to eat. Children's parties usually have a menu composed of spaghetti and meatballs, hotdogs, chicken lollipop, and the like. Things which I don't eat. It's a good thing I was already well aware of standard children's party grub before I came to this particular party, and so I had some fish for lunch. (Kuya asked me why I was eating before going to the party, and I told him I probably wouldn't have anything to eat there.) The party had a great menu (there was even a taco station!), except it was not so great for me.

In fairness to children's parties, they do have one thing that consistently saves the day. Birthday cake.

These are observations I've made in many children's parties I've gone to. I don't expect my friends to accommodate my whining (it's your party and you can sweat if you want to), I just hope they understand if I am less than enthusiastic about going to their little darlings' birthday shindigs. Now... when their kids are old enough to drink and serve alcohol during their birthday parties, that's a different matter altogether...

No comments:

Post a Comment