Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter Dinner at Nikki's

Nikki, one of my favorite undergrad classmates, invited me and a few other friends over to have Easter dinner at her house last Sunday. She (amazingly!) cooked everything we ate. We had ham, which they said was traditionally a part of Easter celebrations (and which I didn't eat, of course), corn with cheese, rice with beans and bacon (Nikki made a vegetarian version for me), Greek salad, baked beans, and sweet potatoes. Among all these, the sweet potato dish intrigued me the most. The American students said that it was a common dish in the US, and that the way Nikki prepared it was the way they usually ate it. She baked the sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. It was unusual for me, but it was pretty good. Mostly because it had a lot of sugar. Then we had apple pie a la mode (More sugar). You can't get more American than that!

I think I've been lucky to have American friends who have given me a chance to see other parts of life in the US. I've heard that a lot of international students don't even set foot in American houses even if they stay to study here for years. It was great to see and taste food that they normally celebrated Easter with, especially since this holiday is very big in my country. I'm a very staunch believer in learning about other cultures through food ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikka, very nice of you to drop by. I can't for the life of me work out what a Pesco-vegetarian is, but I'm sure its not the same as a Peso, of course I know what a vegetarian is... anyways I'll have catch up on your blog. I think you're the first Pinoy vegetarian I know. Most of my Filippino family and friends hate veggies, everything has to be meaty, saturated in fats and served with lots of vinegar and extra rice, or as like to put it - "hyooj" amounts of cooked rice. I hope you enjoy your College studies in the US, I'm hated mine ; )

    ReplyDelete