Search This Blog

Friday, June 2, 2006

Lovely Cali

I've been spending my 3-month summer vacation in Buena Park, California with my Kuya Jerick, Liz, and Aidan. The weather's great over here. It's warm but not humid. No wonder land is so expensive here- the gorgeous weather is probably factored into the price. In Missouri, summer is both hot and humid, so it almost feels like home (on the plus side, less chance of getting homesick). It also feels so strange to not be in the minority, in the sense that there are more non-white people around here. I believe whites comprise less than 50% of the population in California, so they are technically the minority.

There are Filipinos everywhere, so we have to be careful about saying bad things about people. Kuya told me of their friend who rode a cable car in San Francisco. It was very crowded and she said to the friend she was with, "Ano ba 'to, natutulak na tayo palikod. Napatabi tuloy tayo sa mamang mabaho." She was referring to a man standing behind her, who looked to be African-American. Obviously, she was confident no one else could understand her. After a few stops, the man said, "Excuse me, dadaan lang po ang mamang mabaho." Which is why I don't speak ill of other people I see around here. Well, at least not too loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment