Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blows to the ego

Yesterday, I had Blow to the Ego Incident #1. (For the week, at least.)

I'd been slacking off in terms of exercise for the past two weeks, so I went to the gym to join a couple of evening classes to make up for it. It was the first time for me to see and meet the instructor teaching the first class. He was cute, so I decided to chat him up after the workout was done. 

I am not really the queen of small talk, so I tried to think of a topic I could bring up with him. Thankfully, I knew that I once took a P.E. theory class which his father taught at my university. So, I came up to him and said, "Hey, I know your dad. He was my teacher some time ago." To which he responded, "Really? Where? In weightlifting?"

I guess I didn't look very girly to him.

Today, I had Blow to the Ego Incident #2.

Again, the scene was at the gym, this time, the wall climbing gym I regularly go to. I saw a guy whom I hadn't seen in around ten years. He's one of the old-timer mountaineers who pioneered rock climbing in the country, and I met him when I was just starting to climb at the old climbing gym. I wasn't sure that he'd remember me, so I came up to him to say hi. 

"Hey, do you remember me?" I said. He said, "Yes! I wasn't sure it was you though. You got big. You weren't macho before." I tried to show that I was not very happy with what he said, and at the same time I gave him the chance to modify/retract his rather tactless statement. "I'm not really sure how I should take that," I said, hoping he would realize his lack of sensitivity and somehow take back what he said. Well, he did modify it. Kind of. "Well, you really bulked up."

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment